The thing that cracks me up about this piece of the meme is that it reads like the Girl Scout law.
I will do my best to be
honest and fair,
friendly and helpful,
considerate and caring,
courageous and strong, and
responsible for what I say and do,
and to respect myself and others,
use resources wisely,
make the world a better place, and
be a sister to every Girl Scout.
Also, this day of the meme reminds me of the kid's book, The Tenth Good Thing About Barney. It's essentially a story to help children deal with the death of a pet. When they are raising a glass in my memory and telling stories about my life after consigning my body to the deep, I hope the things below make the list.
10 Good Things About Me
1. I startle easily but I rarely panic. I'm afraid of a lot of things but I tend to keep my head in a crisis. I'm able to remain outwardly very calm.
2. I'm a good problem solver, particularly if it means figuring out how to get around something that requires a lot of physical strength or a task has to be accomplished with items I have on hand, even when they aren't the appropriate tools for the job. I improvise really well. The zombie apocalypse is not going to ruin my day.
3. I'm an excellent navigator even if I don't do well with right and left. I love maps and have a great instinctive feel for north and south.
4. I'm very forgiving, particularly in personal matters, less so when it comes to large scale injustice.
5. I'm very patient especially with older folks, children and people who need extra time or help to accomplish a physical task.
6. I recognize patterns and see small details.
7. I'm empathetic. Owing to a great need as a kid to judge the mood of people very quickly, I'm good at picking up body language and voice cues as to how people are feeling, particularly if they are feeling sad, overwhelmed or hurt. I'm a great listener and a good shoulder to cry on and am encouraging. I like to think I leave good LJ comments.
8. I have boundless curiosity and wonder and I love to learn.
9. I tend to form impressions of people based on what they say and how they relate to the people around them rather than physical appearance. I react to voices and body language a lot more than what a person is wearing or their size. I'm not likely to notice weight losses or gains or haircuts unless the change is a big one. I don't care if you look like you're going to tea with the queen or mucking out a stable. I'm more likely to notice competence and confidence than conventional beauty. I may not remember someone's name but I will remember how they treated the waitress. I generally accept people as they are and work with people at whatever point they are in life.
10. I'm a good teacher.
If you asked the other people in my life what I am like, they would tell you I am an old soul and that I have a kind heart. They will also tell you that I'm a sarcastic smartass and stubborn. Oddly enough, I think those can be good qualities too when deployed wisely. Having written the list above, it feels like I'm tempting fate by not writing the list of 10 things I don't do well. The heck with that. I'm a work in progress just like everybody else.